Wedding Photography Islington Town Hall in London N1
Grade II listed, the building stands proudly on Upper Street. Classical in appearance and built in the 1920’s, it was constructed and faced largely with Portland stone. The interior has amazing art deco interiors along with the more traditional ceremonial rooms.
The first thing to notice when entering the building is the grand sweeping marble staircase. This provides many fantastic photo opportunities for newly-wedded brides and grooms. You should definitely allow time for some photos here.
Islington Town Hall Location
The building incorporates Islington Register Office (sometimes miscalled registry) and the Assembly Hall. Both are licensed for weddings and photography.
Located on Upper Street (otherwise known as the A1), the venue is very conveniently situated for those that are north of the river. Highbury & Islington is the nearest train/tube station being just a five minute walk away and just one stop from Kings Cross St Pancras. So it is ideal for your wedding guests arriving by public transport…
I have photographed weddings at the venue a few times and have found it to be a very special and accommodating wedding venue. All the ceremony rooms (listed below) are unique and photogenic, so whatever the size of your small to medium sized wedding (up to 160 guests), you’re sure it’ll be as memorable an occasion as is fitting for your special day.
We Love Our Photos…
My wife and I are so pleased we hired Guy Milnes to shoot our wedding: he did a fantastic job! Patient, knowledgeable and really friendly as well. We had our pictures back in good time and he even put together some bespoke thank you cards for us as well. Very transparent about costs and easy to work with. He put us at ease and we love our photo’s. Thank you Guy!
– Charlotte & Ryan had their wedding ceremony at Asia House
The corridors that you will walk down at Islington Town Hall are splendid and long with large windows lining the way. Photography is all about the light so this is a real boon to your wedding photographer and will help them in producing some stunning portraits as well as natural environmental shots.
The Borough of Islington Registrars
The registrars are accommodating and seem keen for your photographer to get a good selection of photographs that tell the story of your time at the venue. They allow the photographer to move around during the wedding ceremony. The black and white photo above, shows how relaxed this registrar was about my presence throughout the ceremony. They also allow photography of the actual signing of the register. Many wedding venues do not allow photography of the signing, instead opting for a pretend signing of a 'dummy register'. This has caused amusement and slight embarrassment with many happy couples, but not here at Islington Register Office!
Other Ceremonies and Events
As well as Marriages, the Town Hall also caters for Civil Ceremonies, Renewal of Vows and Naming Ceremonies. If you are having an LGBT+/gay wedding, this venue is perfect and gay-friendly.
Contact the Islington Register Office Registrars on 020 7527 6350 to discuss your bespoke requirements.
Also Consider>> Old Marylebone Town Hall is Another Iconic Register Office
Islington Register Office Wedding Photography Venues
There are 4 rooms to choose from for your wedding. Here is a list of them including my highlights of what makes them special:
The Council Chamber:
- The Council Chamber lies at the top of the ornate main staircase and is the largest of the ceremony rooms in terms of seating. It is airy and light with a vaulted ceiling and stained glass windows. Seating is almost 'courtroom' style with guests seated on three sides on benches and chairs.
- Holds 100 guests seated in the main room with a further 60 in the balcony = 160.
- The room is not available on Sundays or Mondays and prices are £480 or £680 on Saturdays.
The Mayor's Parlour:
- The Mayor's Parlour is the smallest room and located at the end of the long corridor on the first floor. Furnished in rich red leather and oak panelling, the fireplace is the focal point. The couple sit in two large red arm chairs with guests to their left and right on a sofa and chairs.
- Just 12 guests seated on the sofa and chairs may attend a wedding in this room.
- The room is not available on Sundays or Mondays and prices are £380 or £580 on Saturdays.
The Richmond Room:
- Spatially, The Richmond Room is the largest at Islington Town Hall. Long and with high ceilings and large windows, it would make an excellent venue for your wedding.
- 60 guests may be catered for in forward facing seats.
- Only available on Saturdays (except the 2nd of the month), the price is £480.
- There are restrictions on music volume in this room to respect the close proximity of neighbours.
- The curiously named Room 99 is the most popular. The colour scheme is red and gold with permanent floral displays.
- Seating is available for 28 guests.
- Prices = Mondays £54. Tuesday-Thursday £180. Friday £230. Saturday £280.
- Time is more restricted in Room 99 with just the legal ceremony allowed. There is no time for extra readings, bespoke vows or even separate registrar interviews and walk-in. The cheaper pricing structure reflects this and, as a result, the room has a higher turnover of weddings. If you need a more personal wedding ceremony, one of the other rooms is recommended. This room is purely for those wanting a no frills register office wedding.
Islington Register Office,